LivePerson’s Conversational Cloud is an AI-powered conversational platform that connects brands to consumers through popular channels, such as Web Messaging, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp, and can scale to any number of conversations.
Conversational Cloud powers the orchestration of human agents, bots, and systems to discover and understand consumer intents, design and scale personalized automations to fulfill those intents, and measure and optimize the effectiveness of conversations. Through best-in-class AI, brands can understand their consumer’s intent and route them to the correct agent or resource, boosting brand loyalty and consumer satisfaction.
If you’re new to “conversational AI,” we’ve got you covered. Check out this introductory article (and more) in our Knowledge Center.
The role of a developer within LivePerson’s ecosystem
Developers play a critical role when you need to customize or extend your brand’s Conversational Cloud solution. Their expertise might be needed to:
- Build advanced bots
- Integrate with third-party applications
- Develop custom messaging interfaces
- Add support for new channels
- Integrate with custom solutions, e.g., add a reporting/analytics dashboard within a custom application
Developers have access to a diverse range of LivePerson tools, such as APIs and SDKs, to customize the consumer experience and optimize operational functions based on your brand’s business requirements and preferences. These tools enable developers to build advanced solutions, as well as integrate with existing solutions.
Proficiency in various skills is necessary for working with our APIs, SDKs, and other developer tools. These include familiarity with:
- REST-based APIs
- OAuth 2.0 and 1.0 authentication protocols
Step 1 - Web tag
Get started with web messaging by adding a Web Tag to your website.
The lpTag object is available on your website when you add the Web Tag script to your website
This object allows you to access many functionalities that relate to the visitor experience on your website.
Some of these functionalities include:
- Triggered Events
- Page refreshes
- LivePerson variables
- Visitor SDEs
Troubleshooting the LivePerson web tag
Some common issues you may encounter when adding the web tag:
- If your engagement is slow to load on the page after implementing:
- The code should be included as high up in the
<head>element as possible.
- If you are using a tag management system: Tag management systems can sometimes cause a delay in the loading of engagements if the LivePerson Tag is loaded after many other tags. To reduce the load time, we recommend placing the Web Tag as high up in the loading sequence as possible.
- The code should be included as high up in the
- If your engagement doesn’t load at all, and you expect it to
- First, make sure it’s published. In Conversational Cloud > Manage Campaigns and Engagements > Campaign Builder, ensure your campaign is active (you will see a cloud icon for inactive campaigns and a LivePerson su n icon if it’s running).
- Second, it may take a moment for your engagement to load. If it is still not appearing, try reloading the page or testing the experience in an incognito browser window.
- The messaging window doesn’t follow the user on every page:
- Make sure to add the messaging tag to every page of your website (this does not mean that the button will display on every page, but it is important for the integrity of the user experience)
- I don’t have a webpage to test on. Do you have another option?
- Yes, you can use the LivePerson developer emulator to test your messaging engagement but it won’t give you the end-to-end testing you really need to ensure it works properly on your website.
Step 2 - Customization
Now that you have deployed the web tag, try customizing the look and feel of the web engagement window. Use CSS Customization to
- Browse available templates to get inspired and generate ideas.
- Make standard customizations and see their impact in a runtime setting.
- Create a full-page experience for engagement windows. You can use any account you have in our Production or Alpha environments. For more information about using the Engagement window studio.
Step 3 - Build and deploy your first bot with conversation builder
For all of the steps to building and deploying your first bot have a look at the bot building overview page. To start directly at the first step for building your bot - skip to step 1 of the dialogs and patterns page and start building!
Step 4 - Route a conversation to an agent
Now that you’ve built your first bot, routed to an agent, connected the messaging window to your site, and customized it, you are ready to dive deeper into the LivePerson experience and learn more about what you can accomplish in the LivePerson ecosystem. Explore the different areas of functionality within LivePerson by navigating to the different sections in the Developer Center.
Areas of functionality
APIs & SDKs
Enhance, customize, and integrate LivePerson's messaging solutions using APIs & SDKs and utilize best practices for APIs and SDKs
LivePerson's Conversational AI is a suite of integrated applications that work together to provide an all-in-one automation and AI solution, including third-party bots, such as Google Dialog Flow, IBM Watson, and Amazon LEX.
Simplify your agent's operations to dramatically increase agent focus and efficiency using custom widgets to integrate into internal brand platforms or CRMs.
Modify consumer messaging windows using APIs that allow brands to develop and deploy a unique chat experience for their consumers, ranging from simple color changes to completely modifying the chat window interface.
Contact Center Management
Employs a wide range of APIs to automate the creation or modification of various Conversational Cloud elements like users, skills, profiles, etc.
LivePerson Functions is a Function as a Service (FaaS) platform which enables brands to develop custom behaviors within LivePerson's Conversational Cloud to better tailor the system to their specific needs. The Functions platform allows developers to write a simple function, deploy it to LivePerson's infrastructure, and make it available to their LivePerson account in minutes.
Benchmark and monitor marketing, sales, and customer care KPIs in real-time for building your own dashboard. Optimize your operations and gauge the impact of your Conversational Cloud investment.
Buttons and banners on your website make it possible to engage consumers over messaging the Conversational Cloud Structured Content Framework. [Call out 3 channels placeholder ie. social messaging]
Rich Messaging allows you to push something richer and more interactive than just plain text to existing messaging channels [add examples if possible].
Security & Authentication
Details the various security protocols and authentication methods that the LivePerson services platform utilizes
This section includes and details the various services and APIs meant to monitor and assign various attributes to visitors
For additional resources and learning please visit our training center and check out our policies and best practice guides.